One of my first experiences as a dog owner was walking my new puppy in a park and being approached by a random person who asked me, «Your dog shouldn’t be wearing a sweater ?»
I stared at the woman as if she had two heads. «No, she’s a dog,» she replied. «She’s fine.»
What makes German Shepherds a good breed for cold weather?
The German Shepherd is known as the best worker among dogs and is renowned for its loyalty, courage and steadfastness in the face of danger. However, what makes them a great cold weather breed?
German Shepherds were bred to work year-round in the freezing temperatures typical of Germany, so they were adapted to cold temperatures right from the start. German Shepherds were originally bred as livestock herders and guardians, so they spent most of their time outdoors with their flock.
German Shepherds have robust bodies which allow them to do well in cold temperatures. They have a good muscle to fat ratio to keep their vital organs isolated. Plus, they’re tall enough to keep your belly off the frozen ground.
Furthermore, dogs in general have a remarkable paw structure, which has a network of blood vessels that ensures that the blood is warmed up before it is pumped back to the rest of the body. Hence, their bodies are safe even when walking on ice.
Many people also prefer to buy German Shepherd clothes for their puppies online.
Many websites sell great clothing for your dogs and most of the German Shepherd clothing for sale is top notch clothing and supplies for your dog. When you shop online, it’s easy to do comparison shopping. You can easily compare prices and select the items you want to buy. One thing to keep in mind is that not all German Shepherd clothes and accessories are made in the USA. If your pup is going on holiday, you’ll want to make sure the items you purchase are durable and will withstand shipping overseas.
Finally, many people choose to register their dogs with the American Kennel Club (AKC). This membership is vital for any pet owner because it ensures that your dog meets breed requirements and is healthy. If you own more than one dog or own dogs that aren’t the same breed, you can register them both with the AKC and receive a certificate. The certificate can be used for identification, club membership and many other purposes. It’s a terrific tool that can make owning a German Shepherd a fun experience!
Reasons why dogs shouldn’t wear clothes
- Clothes can cause painful friction or chafing on a dog’s skin. Dogs with short hair or skin conditions may be more susceptible to skin irritation than others.
- Clothes can potentially cause your dog to overheat and become ill. Always keep an eye on your pet when he’s dressed indoors and in warmer climates.
- Clothes cause anxiety and stress. Dogs that are not used to clothes and don’t feel comfortable shouldn’t be forced to wear clothes.
- Dogs can perceive their restricted movement as a punishment. This refers to dog behavior when one dog will dominate another by physically blocking them.
- It’s humiliating for the dog. Some animals don’t like to be dressed up. A dog’s body language will let an attuned owner know how the dog is feeling.
The above reasons leave room for exceptions. The anti-clothing group also agrees that there are times and reasons dogs should wear clothes. Putting clothes on your pet is whether he is outside, a medical condition ensures the clothes will keep him warm, or age dictates an extra layer against the cold is necessary.