The hairstyle is not only a popular Shih Tzu cut, but also a common hairstyle for Poodles. In the teddy bear cut, all of the hair is cut to about 1/2 to 1 inch in length, including the dog’s face. This results in very soft, teddy bear-like features.
This cut is ideal for dogs that spend a lot of time outdoors or tend to get dirty. If you live in an area with a lot of burrs that could get caught in your Shih Tzu’s coat, a teddy bear haircut will be a great low-maintenance option.
Step to tie double bows
It is similar to the single bow, the two differences are:
- Part the hair in the center of the head (just above the stop) in step one. As you work on the first knot, have a hair clip to hold the other part of the hair.
- Letting hair fall to the sides of the face instead of to the back of the crown in step three. This adds more volume to the hair around the ears and gives the head a lion’s mane look. Done right, it has a very mysterious look as the falling hair shades the sides of the face.
Shih tzu need a bath once a week or once every ten days Regular baths promote fur growth. A dirty coat mats and tangles much more easily than a clean coat. A conditioner is an absolute must when bathing Shih Tzus.
Sure! You need a hair dryer to thoroughly dry your dog’s long hair. Please note that the hair must be dried properly to avoid tangling and bacterial skin infections.
- “Beyond the puppy cut: Shih Tzu hairstyles”. IHeartDogs.com, March 16, 2017, accessed August 8, 2017.
- Williams, Jane. «Grooming Techniques for Shih Tzu Dogs». Pets The Nest, July 14, 2016, accessed August 8, 2017.
- Adkins, Falinia. “How to groom a Maltese Shih Tzu | Cuteness.» Cuteness, February 9, 2017, accessed August 8, 2017.
- «Information, images, characteristics and facts of the Shih Tzu Dog Breed.» Dogtime, accessed August 8, 2017.
- Mansourian, Erika. «The Glamorous Shih Tzu coat, top knot to tail – American Kennel Club.» American Kennel Club, October 5, 2015, accessed August 8, 2017.
Shih Tzu Dog Breed Magazine
Top Notch Toys is the only publication that offers digital magazines dedicated to ALL AKC Toy Group recognized breeds.
Read and learn more about the playful Shih Tzu dog breed with articles and information in our Shih Tzu Dog Breed magazine